Broadband Field Technician
EONI Broadband Field Technician (EBFT)
This job description outlines the position of the EONI Broadband Technician (EBT). The EBT performs work associated with EONI Broadband Services. EONI Broadband Services include DSL services, Wireless services, Voice services, and Fiber services. The EBT position includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
- Evaluating, troubleshooting and repairing DSL and Voice services at the customer location.
- Installation of EONI wireless services at the customer location, which includes determining the best location for the outdoor radio; running cabling in an efficient and aesthetically acceptable method; connecting EONI services to the customer equipment; coordinating with EONI personnel regarding billing, dispatch and provisioning; documentation of work as described below.
- Cable termination and testing.
- Customer premise equipment (CPE) selection and appropriate Access Point (AP) selection for service requested.
- Coordinating with customers and with EONI dispatch as necessary.
- Bucket truck and other vehicle/trailer use, maintenance and training.
- Documenting all work and customer encounters in the EONI ticket tool on the same day as service and in a detailed fashion.
- Network documentation as necessary.
- Working on ladders, towers, elevated structures in a safe and efficient manner.
- Access Point (AP) and Central Office (CO) facilities installation and maintenance.
- Installation of equipment and services related to EONI services: this includes but is not limited to broadband routers, switches, inside cabling/wiring.
- Assisting with Fiber facilities installation as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The EBT is expected to possess or develop familiarity with and knowledge of common wired and wireless networks, both the equipment and technology. Similarly, the EBT is expected to be able to train other staff after acquiring adequate experience and expertise. There will be both a learning curve and a scaling up period associated with some of these responsibilities and tasks, and pertinent EONI staff will work together to provide adequate opportunity for training and skills development.
Additional Criteria for Success at EONI
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Have a helpful, can do, and positive customer focus with an ability to maintain relationships and resolve customer conflicts.
- Be confident yet humble, and always do the right thing.
- Have the desire to evolve, innovate and quickly learn new broadband related technologies.
- Desire to be part of the EONI team and develop lasting relationships in our community.
- Detail oriented; follow established policies and procedures.
- Be highly organized and able to self-manage.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- This is an outdoor work position. Work is performed in all environments, which includes inclement weather such as wet, cold, snow, hot, windy and humid conditions.
- Work involves standing, walking, climbing, crawling, lifting, kneeling, balancing, driving, talking, hearing; occasional digging, shoveling, raking; using hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and reaching with arms and hands; occasional use of sense of smell is necessary. Working in attics and crawl spaces is part of the job.
- Skill in operation of tools and equipment pertinent to the job duties; ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time.
- The EBT must frequently push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds and occasionally do the same up to 100 pounds. Must be able to lift heavy equipment and supplies from work vehicles, including ladders, and handle the equipment in a safe manner.
- Specific vision abilities for this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- The EBT frequently works near moving mechanical parts, and periodically is exposed to a high noise and vibration environment.
- The EBT frequently works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, biting or stinging insects, other animal encounters, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
Safety: all employees are expected to follow all company and regulatory safety rules, regulations and standards.
Driver’s License Requirement: Must possess or obtain, and maintain, an Oregon Driver’s License and maintain a clean driving record. Must be eligible for and may be required to obtain an Oregon Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
Role Classification: Non-exempt, Full-time. EONI is an “At Will” employer.
Start Date: as soon as possible.
Hours: Normal hours are 8:00AM to 5:00PM Monday through Friday. One hour lunch.
Flexibility with schedule is required as this job will periodically require work outside of normal
business hours, including weekends. Occasional shifts of up to 12 hours are necessary for some projects.
To apply, please follow these instructions: 1) prepare a handwritten cover letter to accompany your resume; 2) include a list of at least three references; 3) mail or deliver to:
Dr. Kelly Mutch
Eastern Oregon Net, Inc.
216 Chestnut St
La Grande, OR 97850